My wife hates spiders and after heroically saving her last week from one she asked through her fingers how big it was. My best description was
"It was bigger than a small spider, but smaller then a big spider".
I dont know if that desciption fits here, but let me try and jam it into a incredibly weak analogy.
Migrating from Sybase to Oracle is not simple yet its not incredibly difficult.
Hmm , not great is it. Lets start again.
Here are the parts (I can think of) you need to think about when migrating
- Database : Data + Stored Programs
- Scripts : ETL and Backup/Restore
- Applications : Custom Apps and 3rd Party Apps
- Hardware : You may want new hardware / storage
- DBAs and Developers : May need training
- Users : May need training if the application changes. For Example you may write a Application Express App.
Performing a migration by hand is possible but there are tools available for free from Oracle which help along the way.